The Foundation and its Mission
Sierra Club Canada Foundation (SCCF) is a registered charity whose mission is to be a voice for the earth. We work to protect and preserve the natural environment and to empower people to be stewards of the earth in their communities. Since 1971, the SCCF has funded tens of millions of dollars’ worth of important work, from small local projects to large, multi-year campaigns with many volunteers, organizers, and scientists.
We are funded by individual donors, grassroots memberships, foundations and others who recognize that we all have a right to a safe and healthy environment: clean air, clean water, open spaces, wilderness, and healthy and diverse ecosystems. We are unique in the environmental movement because we enable average citizens to organize activities that improve our local, national and global environments. For more information, see www.sierraclub.ca.
Board and Committee Positions
The SCCF Board of Directors consists of 12 elected directors: 6 directors-at-large, five regional directors, and a Sierra Youth director. The elected board may appoint two additional directors to serve as Secretary and Treasurer for a term of one year. All other directors are elected for two-year terms, or for the balance of a two-year term if a vacancy occurs mid-term. Currently, we seek the following:
- A regional director for the Atlantic Canada region. Only members ordinarily resident in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island or Newfoundland and Labrador are eligible to run for this position.
- A regional director for the Prairie region. Only members ordinarily resident in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, the Northwest Territories or Nunavut are eligible to run for this position.
- A director for the Sierra Youth. Only members thirty-years of age or younger residing anywhere in Canada are eligible to run for this position.
- Individuals interested in serving as Treasurer. Members who have a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation are eligible to run for this position.
- Individuals interested in serving as Secretary. Members who have relevant experience are eligible to run for this position.
- Individuals interested in serving as a director-at-large. All members are eligible to run for these positions.
We are also seeking individuals interested in serving in a volunteer capacity on the following committees that report to the board: Communications, Finance, National Conservation, and National Development.
Eligibility to be a Director
Individuals must be age 18 or older and be members of SCCF at the time of their election or appointment to the board.
Skills and Time Commitment
We are looking for individuals with the time and commitment to serve as an active board member and willing to serve on one or more board committees. We seek those who work well in a team setting and have excellent communication and listening skills. Previous experience with charities and/or non-profit boards is helpful. Proficiency in English is required and bilingualism is an asset. Diversity of backgrounds, experience and geography is valued.
Directors must have time to meet monthly for a two-hour teleconference board meeting and be available to do committee work as needed. Regional directors must liaise with their regional chapter, where one is active.
Special skills we are seeking include fundraising, membership development, social media and communications and environmental policy development.
If you are nominating yourself for a position on the Board of Directors, please provide a biography, covering letter detailing your interest and areas of expertise plus a resume.
If you are nominating someone else, please provide us with the name and contact information of that individual, and a brief biography of the person you are nominating.
Nominations for director positions will also be accepted from the floor at the Annual General Meeting on June 22, 2019, at a location TBA. More details about the AGM to follow prior to the meeting.
Similarly, if you are interested in serving on one of our national committees, please submit your covering letter and resume. Volunteer members of committees may be added at the discretion of the chair of each committee and must be approved by the Board of Directors.
Please send your nominations or address your inquiries to: David Snider, Nominating Committee Chair at: firstname.lastname@example.org